Tuesday, July 17, 2012

REDISCOVERING


In this photo, my nephew celebrates an epic moment during an epic day at Lees Ferry with our guide, the owner of Marble Canyon Outfitters, Mick Lovett.

In addition to putting us on so many fish we lost count of how many we landed, Mick built confidence and skills--in both Riley and me--throughout the day via his understated, yet demonstrably effective, teaching methods.

Nothing could have made Mick and I happier than hearing Riley say, "When we come back next year ..."

My handy Trout Unlimited calendar provides me with better words than my own to describe my days kicking around in the outside world with my inquisitive and good-natured nephew. These come from the month of October, and Rachel Carlson:

 "If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in."